“Our thoughts become our words, our words become our beliefs, our beliefs become our actions, our actions become our habits, and our habits become our realities.”
How much of your day is spent practicing self care? Can you recall making yourself a priority in the last few days? When you’re overwhelmed at work, overbooked in life, and have a to-do list that seems never ending, the first thing that tends to slip is your self care.
So to catch up, you drop all social activities, don’t eat well, and sacrifice precious sleep. But this isn’t helping you, it’s hurting you.
Now you’re burnt out. Stressed out. Starving. And still probably adding to your to-do list as quickly as you’re checking them off.
That’s no way to live.
I like to put some of the blame on social conditioning and culture, demonstrating that those who work harder, longer hours, and take on more are the most successful. And with much less emphasis on the importance of self care every day. We see it in school and in the workplace.
However true that may be, it’s the perfect recipe for a breakdown if not managed well.
Happy and successful people rely on routines, so by making your self care a daily priority, you can get things done while keep yourself still feeling your best, mentally, emotionally, and physically.
The Importance of Self Care Every Day
- Ensures that you take time to check on yourself throughout the day, no matter how swamped you are. This conditions your mind to not overlook your own needs and gets you used to leading with your instincts and intuition. So if you need a little extra self care, listen!
- Helps you create and work on a better relationship with yourself. You have to be your own biggest cheerleader, not your worst enemy! Looking within, and not outside of yourself for your answers gives you even more practice in trusting in your decisions, not apologizing for them.
- Helps you connect with what you need to be your happiest you. And when you’re aware, then you can do.
- Discover what self care methods help you quickly shift to a more positive mindset. More emphasis on the importance of self care every day will help thinking of your needs second nature. And when you know what works for you, you can keep those tools in your arsenal.
- Allows you to take a break to refocus and recharge. Overloading your mind with too much at once can create brain fog and stunt any further progress, similar to writer’s block. So know that when you’ve been re-reading the same sentence over and over for the last 10 minutes, it’s time to step away.
Tip: With every hour of work, take a 5-10 minute break.
- Tackles daily stressors and helps prevent disease and disorder. Feelings of anxiety, worry and lack of confidence are emotional responses to a lack of self care, but it can manifest into very real physical ailments like ulcers and auto-immune diseases if it’s not addressed.
- Starting a self care routine is the beginning of a slippery slope of personal growth. By establishing routines, you’re investing in your own success and happiness. And confidence comes when you’re living the kind of life you want!
Get Into The Habit Of Self Care Every Day
Doing small, but consistent actions like these help create a habit of maintaining your self care. Add something extra to your daily routines, like prepping a solid breakfast you’ll actually look forward to the morning of a big meeting, or squeezing in a mini spa day with quick facial mask before bed after a particularly long day.
Practicing self care first thing in the morning is one of the best ways to get your day going in a positive, and introspective direction. It sets the stage for you to decide what kind of day you’re going to have, and a confident self image as a sturdy wall between you and the distractions of the outside world.
Discover Your Passions
So what things make you feel your best? Have you been putting off a cooking class you’ve been saying you’ll try? When is the last time you’ve had an hour of alone time? Sometimes when life takes over, what we used to love doing in our free time is replaced with what we have to do. But by saying yes to your needs and what makes you happy, you create an authentic lifestyle that’s true to you.
Create Daily Pick-Me-Ups
During those especially trying days, sometimes we need to put an extra boost in our self care. Since I’ve learned what keeps me from getting hangry and tired, I pack some extra snacks, stay hydrated, and take extra breaks for longer days, so I don’t come home depleted. True livesavers. Discover the things that help you lift your mood and incorporate them into your day.
Making time to include self care in your daily routine shouldn’t be a choice, but a necessity. You’ll only go so far running on fumes. How you practice your self care is the best way to keep a very important promise to yourself. And it works by taking the small steps that show you that you are capable of making yourself a priority.
Join over 400 women and gain instant access to The Melanated Maven Self Care Sessions, for weekly self care tips and tools, empowerment and positive mindset resources!